These questions are deliberately “trick” questions in that they require one to pay attention to exact wording and use some logic.
NOTE: Bonus question added 1/13/2008.
I have obscured the answers using ROT13, an “encryption” mechanism that is completely insecure and is best for obscuring punch lines of jokes and answers to questions. It’s a simple cypher where the letters of the alphabet are assigned values from 0 – 25. Since there are 26 letters, adding 13 to the value for each letter and using modulus 26 will provide both “encryption” and “decryption”. If you need the answer to any of these questions, just paste the funny looking text under the question onto the ROT13 page below, click Cypher, and appreciate that someone has a URL even shorter than would be generated by tinyurl. All answers will be spelled out, even when numeric due to the cypher algorithm used.
Note: If you look up the answer, expect a snarky one.
1. A ship standing in one of the locks of the Panama Canal extends 42 feet above the water line. The water rises in th elocks at a rate of 6 feet per minute. After 3 minutes, how far above the water line does the ship extend?
A) Sbegl-gjb srrg, nffhzvat vg vf abg fvaxvat.
2. How many three cent stamps are there in a dozen?
3. Do they have a fourth of July in England.
A) Bs pbhefr gurl qb, gubhtu gurl yvxryl qb abg pryroengr vg.
4. Why can’t a man living in Mobile, Alabama be buried west of the Mississippi River?
A) Orpnhfr ur’f nyvir. Grpuavpnyyl, bs pbhefr, ur pna or, ohg znl abg or. Vg’f ernyyl n crezvffvbaf dhrfgvba.
5. How many birthdays does the average man have?
A) Whfg gur bar, bs pbhefr.
6. If you had only one match, entered a room with a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a wood stove, what would you light first?
A) V gbbx zl gvzr ba guvf grfg. Guvf jnf gur bayl bar V tbg jebat. Gur nafjre, qhu, vf gur zngpu.
7. If a doctor gives you three pills and tells you to take one every half hour, how long would they last?
A) Na ubhe, bar abj, bar va unys na ubhe, bar va bar ubhe. Qbar. Bs pbhefr, ubj ybat orsber gurl qvtrfg vf bhg bs fpbcr bs guvf dhrfgvba.
8. Some months have 31 days, some 30. How many have 28?
A) Nyy bs gurz.
9. You’re driving a bus. At the first stop, three people get on. At the second stop, nine people get on and two get off. At the third stop, four people get on and six get off. How old is the bus driver?
A) V pna’g nafjre gung. Creuncf lbh pna. Ubj byq ner lbh? (Lbh’er qevivat n ohf…)
10. I have two United States coins totaling thirty cents. One is not a nickel. What two coins do I have?
A) N dhnegre naq n avpxry. Gur dhnegre vf vaqrrq abg n avpxry. Bar vf abg. Gur bgure vf. Trg vg abj? (Gbyq lbh gurer’q or fanex urer.)
11. A farmer had nineteen sheep. All but nine died. How many does he have left?
A) BX, ba guvf bar, V’yy gnxr rvgure avar be avargrra. Ur znl fgvyy unir gur gra qrnq barf unatvat va n zrng ybpxre fbzrjurer.
12. Divide thirty by one half. Add ten. What is the total?
A) Friragl. Vs lbh tbg gjragl svir, lbh qvivqrq guvegl ol gjb, abg ol bar unys.
13. An airplane flying from Canada to the U.S. crashes on the border. Where do they bury the survivors?
A) Gurl qba’g ohel gur fheivibef.
14. Two people playing checkers played five games. Each won the same number of games with no ties. Explain.
A) Gurl jrer abg cynlvat rnpu bgure.
15. Take two apples from six apples. How many apples do you have?
A) Lbh gbbx gjb. V qba’g pner ubj znal gurer jrer. Lbh unir gjb.
16. An archaeologist claims to have found a gold coin dated forty-six BC. What is the coin worth?
A) Vg’f jrvtug va tbyq, vs naq bayl vs vg’f erny tbyq. Ab bar jbhyq unir qngrq gur pbva sbegl-fvk OP. Ubj jbhyq gurl unir xabja?
17. A woman gives a begger fifty cents. The woman is the beggar’s sister. The begger is not the woman’s brother. How come?
A) Gur orttne vf n jbzna.
18. How many animals of each species did Moses allegedly bring aboard the ark?
A) Gung yrtraq vf nobhg Abnu, abg Zbfrf. Unq gur dhrfgvba orra nobhg Abnu, gur yrtraq fcrpvsvrf n cnve bs rnpu aba-xbfure navzny naq frira cnvef bs rnpu bs gur xbfure navznyf.
19. Is it legal for a man to marry his widow’s sister in North Carolina?
A) Qrnq zra qba’g trg zneevrq. Jryy, bar qbrf, ohg bayl vs lbh oryvrir gur zna rire rira rkvfgrq, juvpu frrzf qbhogshy.
20. You’re in a round room with an all southern exposure. A bear walks by. What color is the bear?
A) Lbh’er va n ebhaq ebbz jvgu na nyy fbhgurea rkcbfher. Gurersber, lbh ner ng gur Abegu Cbyr. Gurersber, gur orne vf juvgr, be ernyyl fbeg bs n pernz pbybe.
Bonus: Why are man hole covers round? (Person hole covers?)
Snarky Answer: Orpnhfr gur ubyrf ner ebhaq.
Serious Answer: Orpnhfr ebhaq vf gur bayl funcr gung jvyy abg nyybj gur pbire gb snyy guebhtu gur ubyr naq xvyy n jbexre orybj.
How did you do? Have any similar questions to share?